BMW has quickly expanded the recently minted R18 line with two new additions – the 2022 BMW R18 Transcontinental and the 2022 R18 B.
It was always obvious that the big 91hp boxer-driven cruiser was aimed squarely at the North American market but these two new models take the deepest dive into North American traditions. Featuring big fairings and hard bags the Transcontinental and R18B are the touring options. The differences are slight beyond that mile marker – the Transcontinental gets a top case, a taller windscreen and engine guards with a silver rather than black engine treatment. There are analog gauges to go along with a big 10.25″ TFT display – mixing old school with new school. The rear suspension features automatic load compensation and travel-dependent damping while the front is a 49mm fork.
The bikes feature standard dynamic cruiser control, riding modes, torque and stability control but upgrading to active cruise control (maintains distance), hill start and reverse are available as options.
In a melodious turn of events, BMW has partners up with the Marshall company (of amp fame) to deck the big bikes out with a music system – oh yeah baby, turn it to 11!
Should you wish to decorate the bike with additional shiny bits, BMW offers “Option 719” accessories created with the design contributions of Roland Sands.
The MSRP price for the 2022 BMW R18 Transcontinental in Canada is $29,500 while the 2022 R18 B goes for $26,945.
Watch for a test in an upcoming Canadian Biker (best guess eta, issue #356 or #357)
In BMW. own words, Here are the highlights:
- Handlebar-mounted fairing for excellent wind and weather protection.
- High wind shield (R 18 Transcontinental).
- Low wind shield (R 18 B).
- Cases in body colour paint finish (27 litres, with audio 26.5 litres).
- Vibration-decoupled top case in body colour paint finish
(48 litres, with audio 47 litres, R 18 Transcontinental only).
- Wind deflectors in body colour finish (R 18 Transcontinental only).
- 24 litre fuel tank.
- Cockpit with four analogue round instruments and 10.25 inch TFT colour display.
- Biggest ever BMW boxer engine with a capacity of 1 802 cc.
- Output 67 kW (91 hp) at 4 750 rpm, maximum torque 158 Nm at 3 000 rpm.
- More than 150 Nm available at all times from 2 000 to 4 000 rpm
- Open-running, gloss nickel-plated universal-shaft drive based on
the classic role model.
- Elaborately manufactured double-loop tube steel frame with backbone of sheet metal formed parts provide the optimal package.
- Rear swinging arm with enclosed axle drive in rigid-frame design.
- Telescopic fork with fork sleeves and cantilever spring strut with travel-dependent damping as well as automatic load compensation ensure optimum riding under all conditions.
- Comfortable ergonomics for relaxed cruising and touring with the best possible motorcycle control.
- Disc brakes at the front and rear and cast light alloy wheels.
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS.
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) as standard.
- Active Cruise Control (ACC) – cruise control with integrated distance control for relaxed touring as an ex works option.
- State-of-the-art LED lighting technology, classically interpreted.
- Adaptive turning light with swivel module for even better illumination of the road when cornering as an ex works option.
- Engine guard (R18 Transcontinental only)
- Seat heating as standard (R 18 Transcontinental only).
- Heated grips as standard.
- Continuously adjustable rocker switch (in connection with running boards;
standard for R 18 Transcontinental).
- Keyless Ride for convenient activation of functions.
- Three riding modes as well as ASC and MSR as standard.
- Reverse assist for convenient manoeuvring and Hill Start Control for easy hill starts as ex works option.
- Three attractive colours: In addition to black and the 719 Galaxy Dust metallic option, the new R 18 B and R 18 Trancontinental are also available in
Manhattan metallic matt.
- The R 18 Transcontinental “First Edition” and R 18 B “First Edition”: Exclusive look in paint and chrome.
- Extensive range of optional extras and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories as well as a cool Ride & Style Collection.
- “Option 719” equipment available as particularly high-quality and exclusive optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.